Friday, March 1, 2013

The most important thing to pack... A Sense of Humor!


Is everything ready?  Do I have all that I need???  You'd think we were heading to Mars!  I'm pretty sure there are drug stores in Costa Rica where I can stock up on necessities that can't be carried on the next flight...  the pants that did not arrive in time to pack via the Taos pony express can surely be replaced by some tropical capris...  And no doubt the US isn't the only country that carries AA batteries!  What am I forgetting???  Then I realized, the most important thing to carry at ALL times, patience, and a sense of humor!  I know the lines at airports will be long and slow, that finding the nerve to fly down the zip-line will be easier than the wait to do it!  Sometimes we'll be lost or disagree about what to do next, but I also know that the memories I'll keep are of the moments we share with humor and wonder...

Frequent travelers understand this concept better than others, because while being out of one's element often makes us most vulnerable, that is also the point when we come to know ourselves best, where we start to connect with our companions and hosts, even in the smallest ways.  A smile, a laugh, a nod, some eye contact, and sometimes an entire conversation.  And that is the ultimate goal, right?  The ability to let go of yourself and find a new you in a new place....

SM

No comments:

Post a Comment